Sunday, May 13, 2012

Getting Off the Couch

I cried and cried in therapy. My therapist of over 8 years is leaving. She can't afford to work in private practice, taking the crumbs that the HMO's, (my insurance) tosses and has to leave the life's work and calling that she loves, to get a job with benefits...
There is no way to adequately thank Liz for her friendship and support over the years. It's almost impossible to describe how this inconspicuous woman, with this rare and powerful gift to listen, remember and suggest, has helped me carve a wonderful life for myself by helping me see the world and my place in it with fresh eyes, every week.
Liz is a woman, not much older than me, who has been sister, mother, friend and teacher. I am so grateful to count her among the women I have been blessed with and have been forever bettered by. Living my life with her as a constant has been life-changing. Saying goodbye to that will be difficult.

Fo moments like this, I choose hooch over wine and I suggest, Dahwhinnie, Single Malt Scotch, nicknamed, "The Gentle Spirit"!


Excerpted from an interview with "Women and Whiskey" guru, Heather Greene
Can we talk a little bit about women and whisky? Women sort of get the short end of the whisky stick; it’s not really marketed towards us. Why should women drink whisky? Well actually it wasn’t traditionally marketed to men. It was something that women were very comfortable drinking in the '30s, '40s, and '50s, and around the world there are women who drink whisky. Bourbon drinkers are women; women don’t have any problem drinking bourbon in the south. I mean, mint juleps are made with bourbon. If you look at classic cocktails like old-fashioneds and Manhattans, those are whisky-based cocktails. So this sort of question of how and why the single malt scotch becomes a male thing, I don’t really know. It was most likely advertising in the '60s and '70s that implicated whisky with power and that’s why men ended up drinking more of it.

1 comment:

  1. Whisky is a perfect wine for the women. I think, if women drinking '6os & 7os' of the wine products they fell comfortable than others.

    ReplyDelete